MCP Engineering Plastics Limited are a Blue PTFE supplier. Our Food Grade PTFE products are available in the widest range of metric and imperial sizes.
Blue PTFE or food quality PTFE, sometimes (but incorrectly) referred to as Teflon™, provides outstanding resistance to chemicals and low and high temperature extremes. Blue PTFE offers very low coefficient of friction, is highly resistant to corrosion and hydrolysis, and provides exceptionally low moisture absorption.
Blue PTFE also benefits from a UL 94-V0 flammability rating, offers high dielectric strength and more importantly Blue PTFE is FDA approved specifically for food contact applications.
Blue PTFE however has qualities which must be understood, for example Blue PTFE is subject to creep and is very difficult to bond due to its non-stick surface. It is also not suitable for use with highly abrasive materials and does not offer good resistance to impact.
The highly visible colour of Blue PTFE makes it a popular option in food and pharmaceutical processing applications.
MCP Engineering Plastics Limited, based on between Hertfordshire and Essex, UK are a Blue PTFE suppliers to a range of industries and manufacturers, we have in-house manufacturing capability to machine the polymer into bespoke requirements from drawings or your existing samples. We commonly cut Blue PTFE sheet into gaskets, slide plates, chemical linings, scrapers and guides, for example.
Key Features for food quality, Blue PTFE include:
- Temperature resistant: -200°C up to +260°C
- Insoluble in all solvents up to temperatures as high as +300°C (572°F)
- Excellent, low friction, sliding properties
- Chemically inert (exceptions for some alkali metals)
- Excellent dielectric strength
- Highly resistant to corrosion and hydrolysis
- Good machinability (FDA approved – Complies with code of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation 21 CFR sections 175.105, 175.300, 176.170, 176.180, 177.1520, 177.1550, 177.2600 and 178.3570.)
- Polymer will self-extinguish after removal of flame. Conforms to class UL94 V-0 flammability rating
Our Blue PTFE materials have a range of properties and qualities, to select from, including:
- Thickness ranges from 0.5 mm (.31″) up to 100 mm (4.00″)
- We have a wide range of standard shapes available ex-stock
- Our Blue PTFE can be cut from stock sheets, typically 1200 × 1200 mm. We ensure our CNC cutters minimise scrap and wastage.
MCP Engineering Plastics Limited are a Blue PTFE manufacturer with in-house cutting and tooling capabilities. We have tooling available to laminate, punched, and die-cut Blue PTFE from standard or skived Blue PTFE sheet and film, available from stock. All our Blue PTFE can be furnished with one or both surfaces etched for adhesive bonding.